Transfer Credit Policies

When an applicant is accepted for undergraduate transfer admission, courses completed with grades of C or better (D grades discussed below), which parallel the curriculum of Georgia State (exclusive of developmental, vocational, occupational courses, etc.) will be accepted for transfer credit. Such credit must have been earned at institutions of higher education with full accreditation by a regional association of colleges and schools, and where appropriate, the Commission on Colleges.

The determination of how transfer credit may be used to satisfy the specific course requirements for a degree is made by the department that administers the degree program requirements. The departments also have the privilege to test the student’s proficiency in transferred course work.

These general guidelines apply to transfer credit: 

  • A maximum of 12 semester hours of D grades may be applied toward degree requirements. The 12 semester hours include both resident credit (earned at Georgia State) and transfer credit. Transfer credit will not be given for English composition courses with grades of D. Additional restrictions in acceptable D grades may be included in certain degree programs. Be sure to check the description of your planned degree program in the current General Catalog. No credit will be awarded for a grade earned at a foreign institution that is equivalent to a grade of D in the United States. A maximum of 60 semester hours from a two-year college or 81 academic semester hours from a four-year college may be applied in the program for which the applicant enrolls. Typically, courses completed at a two-year college will be granted lower-division credit. The total number of hours that may be earned toward a degree by extension or correspondence courses may not exceed 27 semester hours. 
  • Because the university has a minimum residence requirement, the amount of transfer credit applicable to a degree program may be further limited. 
  • Georgia State University does not grant credit for College-Level General Educational Developmental Tests, USAFI courses, or courses completed at any United States armed forces service school, with the exception of the military academies. 
  • Some credit may show up with a 1099, 2099, 3099, or 4099 number. If you receive credit with this number, this means we did not have an exact course to transfer your course to, however, we did give you credit for the transfer course. (For example: BIOL 2099, or HIST 1099) Student may have these courses reviewed by the department.