Cross Registration Policy
Georgia State University students may enroll in courses offered by member institutions of the Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education (ARCHE) under a cross registration agreement. Students who wish to cross register must meet all eligibility requirements under the ARCHE agreement and the University. Courses taken through cross registration are considered resident credit. Students may learn more about cross registration or obtain an ARCHE Cross Registration Application at http://www.gsu.edu/registrar/cross-registration.html.
Cross Registration Application Deadlines
- Fall Semester: July 26
- Spring Semester: December 1
- Summer Semester: May 1
- Students must be in good standing and have a minimum Georgia State University cumulative GPA of 2.0 and the required GPA to enroll in the Georgia State course which is most similar to the course the student wishes cross register
- Students must be concurrently enrolled in at least one Georgia State course.
- Students must meet prerequisites for requested course(s) as defined by Georgia State University and the host institution.
- Students must meet the host institution’s immunization and health requirements.
- First-semester freshmen may not cross register (unless cross registering in courses for purposes of ROTC training or marching band).
Students may not cross register for a course if
- The course is offered at GSU that semester.
- The course has been previously attempted at Georgia State (including attempts which resulted in a withdrawal or an unsatisfactory grade).
- The course or an appropriate substitute is routinely available at Georgia State (that is, offered each semester or on a specified regular basis, such as every fall). Determination of whether the course is routinely available is made by the advisement office in consultation with the chair or director of the academic unit that offers the course.
- The College and/or degree program has restrictions or departmental requirements for the specific course.
- The student expects to graduate from GSU during the semester the student wishes to cross register a course.
Students are limited to two cross-registered courses per semester, and the combined course load at Georgia State University and the host institution may not exceed 18 credit hours.
Students who wish to cross register must complete and submit an ARCHE Cross Registration Application to the Office of the Registrar, room 225, Sparks Hall. Cross Registration Applications are available online: http://www.gsu.edu/registrar/cross-registration.html.
Students who wish to take academic courses at an ARCHE institution must obtain written approval in advance from the University Advisement Center or the Office of Academic Assistance in the student’s college. Course outlines (syllabi) and catalog information may be required so content can be evaluated before approval is granted by the Office of Academic Assistance.
Students are not allowed to pre-register in courses they wish to cross register. Once all approvals have been obtained, the host institution’s Cross Registration Coordinator will register students for the approved course(s) on a space-available basis after the host institution’s regularly enrolled or continuing students have had first priority for registration. The host institution’s Cross Registration Coordinator will inform the student of approval and registration status.
Georgia State University’s students will pay Georgia State University’s tuition and fee rates via PAWS. However, special fees (lab fees, parking and equipment lease) and security deposits must be paid to the host institution.
Students must abide by all host institutions’ policies and schedules regarding immunization requirements, grades, exam dates, absences, and add/drop/withdrawal deadlines. To withdraw from a course, both Georgia State University and the host institution’s withdrawal procedures must be followed. Changes in registration must be approved by Georgia State University and the host institution’s Cross Registration Coordinators.
Upon completion of the course, the host institution’s Cross Registration Coordinator will send a final transcript to Georgia State University. Students who receive a grade of Incomplete at a host institution should recognize that the time limit for removal of a grade of Incomplete must not exceed Georgia State University’s deadline for removal of a grade of incomplete. It is the student’s responsibility to request an official transcript from the host institution once the grade of Incomplete has been satisfied and a final grade has been assigned.
Students must complete a new ARCHE Cross Registration Application for any subsequent term.
Cross registration is available in the summer on a limited basis. Consult the Office of the Registrar for more information. The participating ARCHE member institutions are: Agnes Scott College, Atlanta College of Art, Brenau University, Clark Atlanta University, Clayton State University, Columbia Theological Seminary, Emory University, Georgia Gwinnett College, Georgia Institute of Technology, Interdenominational Theological Center, Kennesaw State University, Mercer University Atlanta Campus, Morehouse College, Morehouse School of Medicine, Oglethorpe University, Savannah College of Art and Design – Atlanta, Southern Polytechnic State University, Spelman College, State University of West Georgia, and University of Georgia.