Learning Support Program
The Learning Support Program (LSP) is for undergraduate students admitted on an exceptions basis who need remedial assistance in the areas of math, reading, and/or writing in order to be ready to take courses in the Core Curriculum.
Students are placed into the Learning Support Program (LSP) if they meet any of the following conditions:
- An SAT-Verbal score below 430 or an ACT-Verbal score below 17.
- An SAT-Mathematics below 400 or an ACT-Mathematics below 17.
- Below required scores on the COMPASS placement tests if SAT or ACT scores are not provided.
- Failure to meet the College Preparatory Curriculum requirements in English or mathematics.
- The current minimum COMPASS scores for direct placement into collegiate level courses are:
- Reading 74
- English 60
- Math 37 ( a score of 47 is required for the Math 1111 pathway)*
* Per Board of Regents recommendation
LSP placement and courses
Learning Support placement criteria (Excel file)
It is required that LSP students meet each term with an academic advisor for advice regarding course selection. For this reason, an advisement hold is placed on each LSP student’s record each term. The hold is lifted after the student has seen an advisor and their schedule is approved. Here are the LSP foundation and co-requisite courses offered:
- English – ENGL 0898 ( Foundations for ENGL Composition)
- English – ENGL 0999 (Support for ENGL Composition) taken with ENGL 1101
- Non-STEM Majors – MATH 0987 ( Foundations for Quantitative Reasoning)
- Non-STEM Majors – MATH 0997 ( Support for Quantitative Reasoning) taken with Math 1001
- Non-STEM Majors – MATH 0998 (Support for Math Modeling) taken with MATH 1101
- STEM Majors – MATH 0989 ( Foundations of College Algebra)
- STEM Majors – MATH 0999 (Support for College Algebra) taken with MATH 1111
LSP courses do not count towards degree requirements or a student’s GPA at Georgia State University. They are, however, used to calculate a GPA for HOPE, Pell and other financial aid awards, and the courses and grades earned appear on a university transcript. LSP courses are graded using the same system as other Georgia State courses.
See the Catalogs for more information on Learning Support.